Monday, 25 May 2015

Pattern Testing: Bonnell Dress....

A few weeks ago I did a bit of pattern testing. Dixie put a call out and I jumped at the chance to give her new pattern, the Bonnell dress, a go. I love Dixie's patterns, in particular her Ballet dress which I've made far too many versions of to remember but the latest version being this stripy number.

Anyways, Dixie had blogged about this new pattern and I really liked her gorgeous version of this dress so was more than happy to give it a go myself. 
I picked up this nautical cotton on my latest Goldhawk Rd trip and used some white indian cotton for the lining.


This pattern is a pretty summer dress with a high front neckline and v back. It has a gathered skit WITH pockets (yasss!) and cut cutout detail at the waist (I named these my tickle holes but just as I'm writing it that sounds all kinds of wrong....)


I really love the bodice shape with the high round neck line. This would lend itself so well to some amazing print fabric as it's so simple.



I like the v back but didn't get my zip quite right, it probably just needs hand stitching at the edges so they don't poke up but I'd like to try and get this sewn in under the lining some how, it might need a bit of thought as the lining gets stitched in and down with the waist band... 



The pattern instructions are great and I love that the info for how to add a lining is all included, I did miss out the dreaded hand stitching of the bodice lining at the waist though, that's what stitching in the ditch is for surely?! 
Overall I really like this dress, I'm thinking of making another and omitting the "tickle holes"  (I'm just going with it) as I really like the bodice and waist band.

It's even got slightly warmer over this bank holiday weekend so I squeezed this dress into my me made may wears yesterday, thank you Dixie!





10 comments:

  1. This looks great on you and I love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great dress - I love the cut outs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!! love your fabric choice- it goes really well with this dress design! I can just imagine you walking along a boardwalk in that dress with a nice sun hat on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin, I'm just waiting for a bit more sunshine and I'll be doing just that!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha! Tickle holes! This actually makes me a bit scared to make the dress in case of unexpected tickles, but I do really like the pattern and yours looks great in nautical print :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think of that, ooh I'm going to be a paranoid tickle hole wearer now!

      Delete
  5. I love your Bonnell dress Zoe.
    I also pattern tested and I think you did an awesome job. I think I will top stitch down the waistband next time too. The lined bodice does feel rather special doesn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great print! :) I love how th dress fits you! Great job! :) I stitched in the ditch with this dress too, I mean, who likes doing hand stitches? :D

    ReplyDelete