Monday, 26 June 2017

Flora....


Two months later......we have a dress!
Yep, this took me forever but it's finished and I'm wearing it so still winning :)

I got started on this back in May, cut out all of the pattern pieces, well those for the bodice and lining and then realised the fabric was no where near wide enough to fit a Flora skirt onto so left that for a few weeks. Over those weeks I slowly pieced the bodice together.


I had no intention of fitting this along the way, I cut out the pattern to my measurements and just hoped it would fit at the end. 
During that time I also decided to add a simple gathered skirt, I actually used the skirt from the Bonnell dress as it is slightly more shaped than a gathered rectangle of fabric.



Finished article...it fits! Well it does but weirdly it came out quite big in the waist. This fabric does have a bit of stretch, it could do with a couple of inches taken out but not for this version, it's fine as is and actually feels quite comfy like that for now.


I hemmed the skirt with some bias binding to keep as much length as possible and I'm really happy with that but I really should have bothered with pockets....ALWAYS ADD THE POCKETS ZOE!! Where the hell am I meant to stash my phone, lip gloss and emergency dummy now??!!


Other than being a bit on the big side, I like the bodice. I'd maybe make the straps a bit narrower as they look a little clunky.


You can see the waist is way too big here, it's a bit smock like. Maybe I should wear it with a belt?


Here you can see my absolute disregard for any pattern matching. I didn't have enough fabric and I didn't really care for this version, wearable muslin it is!

Overall I'm happy with this, I have a new dress to wear, managed to get my sewing mojo back and have used up some stash...all good. 

Now I need to apply myself a little more for my wedding guest dress, and soon as I now only have one month to get that done...and I'm still to actually decide what to make......wish me luck!


Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Slow start....

It was over a month ago now that I blogged about starting to sew again, although slowly, well it's going really slowly. So slowly in fact that I haven't done one little thing. 

Friday was a chill day, well as chill as you can when entertaining and caring for a 5 month old all day. Going out is so much easier than staying in these days, but every now and then a harsh night of little sleep means we really do just need to stay in our pjs at home for the day. So I used this opportunity to get out some fabric from the stash and a pretty dress pattern to go with. 

Now at this point they are just sitting on the table BUT they are now in eye view and I know I won't be able to just leave them there not doing anything for very long so this is me finding my sewjo again.



Having not even got as far as choosing some fabric for my wedding guest dress I thought I should get on with making up something else to get me into the swing of things.



I've got out this piece of stretch cotton. I have no idea what it actually is as I picked it up from a bin bag of fabric at work but I think it's probably got about 3% stretch and it has a lovely weight to it.

I've decided it's destined to be a BHL Flora. I made the faux wrap front version last year and really liked it, I actually need to take in those side seams a bit so I can wear it this summer-I gave it quite a bit of ease to accommodate the bump. This time I'm going to try out Version 2 with the high neck and straps but stick with the straight hem skirt. 

Lets see how long this really takes.....